Mr. Smarty Plants - How do I save my recently transplanted yaupon holly?

Wednesday - April 20, 2011

From: Dallas, TX
Topic: Diseases and Disorders, Planting, Transplants, Shrubs
Title: How do I save my recently transplanted yaupon holly?

QUESTION:

Recently transplanted (two weeks ago) a yaupon holly tree from one part of the yard to another. Leaves are beginning to turn yellow and fall. What can be done to save this plant?

ANSWER:

It sounds like your Ilex vomitoria (Yaupon)  is suffering from transplant shock. This commonly occurs when plants are transplanted because the root systems are damaged  and have not become restablished well enough to support the plant.

The links below deal with treating transplant shock, and have general information about how  to avoid it when planting trees.

North Carolina State University 

Purdue University 

Clemson University

Minnesota Department of Natural Resources