Mr. Smarty Plants - Do Banana Plants Grow in Galveston, Texas?

Wednesday - March 30, 2011

From: Detroit, MI
Topic: General Botany, Non-Natives
Title: Do Banana Plants Grow in Galveston, Texas?
Answered by: Mike Tomme

QUESTION:

Do banana plants grow on Galveston island?

ANSWER:

Only if they are planted there. The Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center is dedicated to the growth, protection and propagation of plants native not only to North America but to the areas in which those plants natively grow. Banana plants do not fit that description.

Banana is the common name for herbaceous plants of the genus Musa and for the fruit they produce. Although these species are not native to Texas, they are commonly used in landscapes. The foliage will die back after a freeze and will seldom (if ever) produce an edible product.