Thursday - November 18, 2010

From: Naples, FL
Title: Care for non-native cat palm

QUESTION:

Purchased 3 new cataractarum palms-3ft. high for indoors--how can I know when to water or how often?? I am from Canada & in Naples Florida for 6 months--I am a novice to these plants

ANSWER:

Chamaedorea cataractarum, Cat Palm, is native to northeastern Mexico and therefore falls out of our expertise. The Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center is dedicated to the growth, propagation and protection of plants native to North America (excluding Mexico) and to the area in which they are being grown. However, we found a website from the Northern California Chapter of the Palm Society with good information on the use and care of this plant.

Pictures of the Cat Palm from Google