Wednesday - October 27, 2010

Topic: Propagation, Transplants
Title: Transplanting False Gaura in Austin
Answered by: Mike Tomme

QUESTION:

I am transplanting my false gaura. Do they transplant well, and should I cut them back?

ANSWER:

Mr. Smarty plants visited with plant care experts at the Wildflower Center. They have transplanted Stenosiphon linifolius (False gaura) successfully so it can be done. They caution that Stenosiphon linofolius has a taproot and if you cut off too much of that the plant will, at the very least, suffer severe shock from the transplant.

Their tips for success: select smaller plants as these will have smaller root systems, get as much of the roots as you possibly can, plant in full sun. During and after the transplant give it plenty of water, but when it becomes established, it prefers dry soil. As for cutting it back, you probably don't need to, especially if you are using small plants to start with.

Now is a great time to do your transplanting.