Sunday - October 03, 2010

From: Schaumburg, IL
Title: Best pine tree for northern Illinois
Answered by: Mike Tomme

QUESTION:

I live in Schaumburg,IL. What would be the best type of pine tree to plant?

ANSWER:

Here are a couple of choices for you to consider:  Pinus strobus (Eastern white pine) and Pinus resinosa (Norway pine). Pinus resinosa is also often called the red pine because of the color of its bark.

According to the USDA, both of these trees are native to northern Illinois and to Cook County where Schaumberg is located. Pinus strobus is the more widely distributed of the two. Both grow to be very large attaining heights of 100 feet or more. Both do well in dry or moist, well drained soil. Both require acidic soil with a pH less than 6.8.

Here is a link to a picture of Pinus resinosa, from the University of Illinois Extension Service, red pine picture, and here is a picture of Pinus strobus:

Pinus strobus