Friday - August 08, 2008

From: Sioux Falls, SD
Title: Privacy hedge for South Dakota

Hi, I'm looking for something to use as a hedge. 8 foot or so tall offering semi privacy all year. I like dogwoods but loss of leaves in the winter makes me skeptical. Boxwood would be interesting but only 2 feet tall. Any suggestions? I have an area up to about 8 feet wide and 100 feet long. Thanks - Sioux Falls, SD

There aren't many choices for small evergreen shrubs/trees native to South Dakota except for pines, junipers and spruces, which in their native state grow quite tall. However, many of these have cultivars or varieties that have been developed that grow to a smaller size and could work as evergreen shrubs.

1. There are several cultivars of Picea glauca (white spruce) that are termed 'dwarf' that could work (e.g., 'Conica' or "Dwarf Alberta Spruce", 'Pixie' and 'Rainbow's End').

2. Juniperus scopulorum (Rocky Mountain juniper) also has cultivars that are shorter (e.g., 'Welchii' and 'Medora').

There is also the Cercocarpus montanus (alderleaf mountain mahogany), which is described as having almost-evergreen leaves, which I assume means it holds on to its leaves longer than most deciduous trees or it is evergreen in milder climates such as Virginia.

Juniperus scopulorum

Cercocarpus montanus