Mr. Smarty Plants - Plant identification

Thursday - September 30, 2010

From: Morristown, TN
Title: Plant identification

QUESTION:

My husband brought home a plant which I have not been able to id. It is a bush, has 2 ovate to ellipse leaves, whorled, with 4 (2 pairs) smooth thin skinned (you can see white veins under the skin radiating from the blossom drop )bright red-orange glossy 1/4 inch berries in each whorl. The seeds inside the berry are about the size and shape of tomato seeds (8). This plant was growing wild. What is this plant? Is it native? Is it poisonous? What animals use it as a food source? What is the easiest way to propogate it or is it a good idea to grow it (exotic invasive)? Thank you, Mr. Smarty Plants

ANSWER:

Your plant sounds fascinating, but unfortunately, I haven't been able to find a shrub that matches your description.  However, if you will take photos and send them to us, we will do our very best to identify it.  Please visit Mr. Smarty Plants' Plant Identification page to read the instructions for submitting photos.  Please follow those instructions carefully and also make sure your photos are in good focus.