Mr. Smarty Plants - Plant identification

Friday - July 03, 2009

From: Spanaway, WA
Region: Northwest
Title: Plant identification

QUESTION:

I have a tree growing in my backyard that has started to produce bean shaped blue berries the interior of the berry is red and the leaf shape is long and triangle and the stems the berries grow on are red. Is this plant poison? I have 5 kids and a dog and I'm am wondering if I need to warn them away.

ANSWER:

Mr. Smarty Plants loves to identify plants, but it is very difficult (if not impossible) to do so from a description alone.  Please send us photos of your plant and we will do our best to identify it and tell you if it is poisonous.  Please take high resolution, in-focus photos of:  1) the tree as a whole, 2) a branch showing the leaf arrangement, 3) close-ups of leaves, and 4) close-ups of the berries.   Visit Mr. Smarty Plants' Plant Identification page to read the instructions for submitting photos.  In your e-mail please be sure to remind us where you live and describe the site where the tree is growing.