Mr. Smarty Plants - Native shrub for shade in New Braunfels, Texas

Monday - July 26, 2010

From: New Braunfels, TX
Title: Native shrub for shade in New Braunfels, Texas

QUESTION:

Recently moved to New Braunfels and purchased a house whose backyard consists of giant oaks. Unfortunately there is a chain link fence along the back of the property. I would like to plant a native fast growing shrub to hide the fence. The problem is the area is quite shady. Haven't gotten any advice from local nurseries.

ANSWER:

Here are a few native shrubs that will grow well in the shade (less than 2 hours sun per day) and part shade (2 to 6 hours sun per day).  When you open the page for each species, you should check the GROWING CONDITIONS to see that they are compatible with your site.

SHADE

Rhus aromatica (fragrant sumac) grows in sun, part shade and shade and is deciduous. 

Ilex vomitoria (yaupon) grows in sun, part shade and shade and is evergreen. 

Cornus drummondii (roughleaf dogwood) grows in part shade and shade and is deciduous.

Lindera benzoin (northern spicebush) grows in sun, part shade and shade and is deciduous.

Sabal minor (dwarf palmetto) grows in sun, part shade and shade and is evergreen. 

PART SHADE

Morella cerifera (wax myrtle) grows in sun and part shade and is evergreen.

Cotinus obovatus (American smoketree) grows in sun and part shade and is deciduous.

Rhus virens (evergreen sumac) grows in sun and part shade and is evergreen.

Ilex decidua (possumhaw) grows in sun and part shade and is deciduous.

Callicarpa americana (American beautyberry) grows in part shade and is deciduous.

Here are photos from our Image Gallery:

Rhus aromatica

Cornus drummondii

Lindera benzoin

Sabal minor

Cotinus obovatus

Rhus virens

Ilex decidua

Callicarpa americana