Thursday - July 01, 2010

From: Irving, TX
Topic: Drought Tolerant, Shade Tolerant, Herbs/Forbs, Shrubs
Title: Shade loving plants with color for Irving, Texas

QUESTION:

Looking for shade loving perennials or annuals with color - native and low water. Live in Irving, Texas.

ANSWER:

Please visit our Texas-North Central Recommended list to find commercially available plants suitable for landscaping in the Irving, Texas area.   You can use the NARROW YOUR SEARCH option to select your criteria ('Herb' or 'Shrub' from GENERAL APPEARANCE, 'Shade...' from LIGHT REQUIREMENT and 'Dry...' from SOIL MOISTURE).  Depending on how much sunlight the area receives, you might be able to select 'Part shade - 2 to 6 hrs' (of sun per day) as well as 'Shade - 2 hrs or less' (of sun per day).  Here are a few possibilities, but you can search for more:

Aquilegia canadensis (red columbine)

Rudbeckia hirta (blackeyed Susan)

Asclepias tuberosa (butterfly milkweed)

Echinacea purpurea (eastern purple coneflower)

Anisacanthus quadrifidus var. wrightii (Wright's desert honeysuckle)

Salvia regla (mountain sage)

Here are photos from our Image Gallery: