Mr. Smarty Plants - Problems with non-native fruit trees in Katy TX

Thursday - May 13, 2010

From: Katy, TX
Title: Problems with non-native fruit trees in Katy TX

QUESTION:

I have several species of fruit trees growing. pear, lime, orange, pluot, plum, variegated orange, peach, lemon all planted in ground, some this year and some last year: My lemon (approx 15 gallon) and orange (approx 10 gallon) (both planted this year) are not doing so good. The lemon has fruit since purchase. The orange does not. Both trees get water for about an hour twice a week along with all of my other thriving fruit trees. The lemon and orange are losing leaves, they are turning yellow and falling off. I do not see bugs or bug trails on the leaves. Can you please assist or advise?

ANSWER:

All of those fruit trees and, in fact, most plants that have fruits you would buy in the grocery store are either non-native to North America and/or have been so extensively hybridized that recognizing their parentage would be impossible. The Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center is dedicated to the use, protection and propagation of plants native not only to North America but to the area in which the plants are being grown. The County Extension Offices usually have good information on food plants, fruits and vegetables. We would suggest you contact theTexas A&M AgriLIFE Extension Office for Harris, Ft. Bend or Waller County, since Katy is in all three.