Mr. Smarty Plants - Dwarf evergreen heath plant from Norcross GA

Monday - February 01, 2010

From: Norcross, GA
Title: Dwarf evergreen heath plant from Norcross GA

QUESTION:

I was reading a book that mentioned a "dwarf evergreen heath plant and wondered if such a plant exist. It is suppose to have leathery leave blooms with white flowers that produce red berries used for what appears to be healing of bladder infections. The name of the book is "The Plains of Passage.

ANSWER:

The genus Calluna, heath or heather, is native to Africa, Asia and Europe,  has been introduced in other places, and is often considered an invasive weed. There are a number of plants native to North America with "heath" in their common names, but none are actually heaths. Since the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center deals only with plants native to North America, we have no information on it. See this list of heaths and heathers from Sylvan Nursery for more information.