Wednesday - February 03, 2010

Title: Source for Bigelow oak in Austin
Answered by: Barbara Medford and Joe Marcus

QUESTION:

Hi folks! I noticed on my last visit to the Wildflower Center that you now have a shrub white oak/Bigelow oak which I think is new (maybe I was just seeing it for the first time). I absolutely love this tree and see it in the wild all over the place, but I have searched every local nursery (and I've called around as far as Dallas) for this tree and no one seems to grow it. Could you tell me where you got yours, or did you grow it at the center? I'd love to plant a few in my yard. Thanks!

ANSWER:

That example of Quercus sinuata var. breviloba (bastard oak) was collected during a plant rescue on private property that was to be developed. We frankly don't know where you would locate it in a nursery, and don't believe we have ever sold it in our of our Plant Sales. While we could find no indication that it is an endangered plant, it may just be rare enough that it is not distributed commercially. Did you try our National Suppliers Directory? You can go there, put your town and state in the "Enter Search Location" box, and you will get a list of native plant nurseries, seed companies and landscapers in your general area.  Some of them might either be able to find it for you or give you some clues. 

Quercus sinuata var. breviloba

Quercus sinuata var. breviloba

Quercus sinuata var. breviloba