Tuesday - May 26, 2009

From: Elkhart, IN
Title: Colorful plants for window boxes in Indiana

QUESTION:

I want to find plants with lots of color that will fill two window boxes and trail out of the boxes and look full and nice throughout the summer. I live in Northern Indiana and the window faces south and receives full sun all day long. The plants need to be drought resistant. Thank you.

ANSWER:

You've posed a tough assignment for Mr. Smarty Plants, but here are some suggestions that should work well.  Some of them should trail over the side and some will remain upright:

Campanula rotundifolia (bluebell bellflower)

Coreopsis lanceolata (lanceleaf tickseed)

Lupinus perennis (sundial lupine)

Phlox pilosa (downy phlox)

Calylophus serrulatus (yellow sundrops)

Glandularia bipinnatifida var. bipinnatifida (Dakota mock vervain)

Oenothera speciosa (pinkladies)

Clitoria mariana (Atlantic pigeonwings)

Clematis virginiana (devil's darning needles)