En EspaÑol

Mr. Smarty Plants - Locating Rudbeckia cultivar in San Antonio

Friday - April 16, 2010

From: San Antonio, TX
Title: Locating Rudbeckia cultivar in San Antonio

QUESTION:

Hello, I’m searching for one-gallon plants of Rudbeckia fulgida var. speciosa “Viette’s Little Suzy” to purchase either from a San Antonio or area nursery or through a mail order Texas Grower. Is this the way to go, or should I just plant seeds? Do you guys sell this specific Rudbeckia? If you can help, that’s would be great.

ANSWER:

Last question first: We only sell plants twice a year at our Plant Sales. The Spring one is just over and the Fall sale won't be until October. This plant is a hybrid, and we don't sell hybrids, either, because we are committed to the use, protection and propagation of plants native to North America and to the area in which they are being grown. More discouragement, a hybrid can seldom be propagated by seeds, because they won't come true to their multiple parents. According to Northscaping.com Rudbeckia fulgida var. speciosa Viette's Little Suzy can be propagated by division and is a shorter "selection" of the native Rudbeckia fulgida (orange coneflower).

According to the USDA Plant Profile, there are two counties in Texas, one of which appears to be close to Bexar County, where the native orange coneflower is growing. Whether this means you could find any retailers in your area selling a hybridized version we don't know. You might try going to our National Suppliers Directory, typing in your town and state in the "Enter Search Location" and you will get a list of native plant nurseries, seed companies and landscape and environment consultants in your general area. They all have contact information and, although they all specialize in native plants, probably some of them carry at least some hybrids or cultivars, and might be able to help you.