Mr. Smarty Plants - Looking for chinaberry trees to buy and plant in Austin

Tuesday - September 15, 2009

Title: Looking for chinaberry trees to buy and plant in Austin

QUESTION:

I am looking to buy china berry small trees to plant in Austin , any suggestion where i might be able to buy them thank you

ANSWER:

Mr. Smarty Plants says:  "Please, please, please don't plant Melia azeradach (chinaberry trees)."  This is an introduced species from Asia that is very invasive.  Here are several references that cite their invasiveness: 

Plant Conservation Alliance's Alien Plant Working Group Least Unwanted

Invasive Plant Atlas of the United States

Invasive Plants of the Eastern United States

US Forest Service Weed of the Week

Please consider one of the following as an alternative:

Sapindus saponaria var. drummondii (western soapberry)

Prunus mexicana (Mexican plum)

Morella cerifera (wax myrtle)

Fraxinus velutina (velvet ash)

Sapindus saponaria var. drummondii

Prunus mexicana

Fraxinus velutina