Mr. Smarty Plants - Source for lady lupine in Rosemary Beach, FL

Tuesday - April 21, 2009

From: Rosemary Beach, FL
Title: Source for lady lupine in Rosemary Beach, FL

QUESTION:

Where can I buy the lady lupine? I live in Rosemary Beach, Fl.

ANSWER:

As you probably know, our area of expertise is with plants native not only to North America but also to the area in which the plants are being grown. Lupinus villosus (lady lupine) is native to Florida, and therefore should be obtainable from some of our list of Native Plant Suppliers in your area.We went to that site, typed in Rosemary Beach, FL in the "Enter Search Location" box and got  the names of 5 suppliers in Florida, with maps and phone numbers. Since we are not familiar with where things are in Florida, we suggest you decide what is most convenient to you, and contact the vendors to see if they have the plant you want in stock, or can get it for you. Lady lupine, according to this USDA Plant Profile map, is found mostly in North Florida and the Florida Panhandle. Since we also couldn't find out where Rosemary Beach is, we don't know how well the plant would do in your garden. It is a perennial sub-shrub blooming blue and violet from April to July.

Lupinus villosus

Lupinus villosus