Saturday - August 29, 2009

From: Tomball, TX
Title: Source for non-native yellow bauhinia in Tomball, TX

QUESTION:

I am trying to find a yellow bauhinia plant/tree/shrub here in Tomball, TX. I went to the Arbor Gate in Tomball and they only have the white and orange, but they do have a yellow bauhinia on display growing in their garden, but not for sale. I am trying to buy one and I need your help! Where can I buy one close to home?

ANSWER:

Bauhinia tomentosa, yellow bauhinia, is native to Africa, Yemen and India  and therefore out of the range of expertise of the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center. We recommend the use of plants native not only to North America but to the area in which they are being planted. Native plants will need less water, fertilizer and maintenance to thrive. We do have a list of Native Plant Suppliers, and some of them carry a small percentage of non-native plants, you could check with them. You might also try Googling "Bauhinia tomentosa Tomball TX"  There is a native species of the genus Bauhinia, Bauhinia lunarioides (Texasplume) that one of the native plant nurseries mentioned above might carry. However, according to this county level distribution map from the USDA Plant Profile, it does not grow natively in the Tomball area.