Tomball, TX
Distinguishing elm species from volunteers in yard
What's the best way to distinguish young elm tree species apart from one another? We have a bunch coming up in our yard and we're trying to figure out if they are Winged, Cedar or American. Some of ...

Tomball, TX
Bluebonnet stencil for furniture
where or who would sell furniture stancils of bluebonnets

Tomball, TX
Correct cultural conditions for liatris
I recently bought some gayfeather (liatris pycnostachya) and planted in my yard in a nice full sun spot. Gets sun for roughly 10 hours a day. However, it's also the single driest spot in my yard (jus...

Tomball, TX
Source for non-native yellow bauhinia in Tomball, TX
I am trying to find a yellow bauhinia plant/tree/shrub here in Tomball, TX. I went to the Arbor Gate in Tomball and they only have the white and orange, but they do have a yellow bauhinia on display ...

Tomball, TX
Want to take cuttings from Yaupon in Tomball, TX.
From Tomball, Texas - we have a very shaded back yard and would like some lower growing shrubbery as a screen for the neighbors. Wild yaupon holly is growing well on the fringes and I would like to f...

The Woodlands(Spring), TX
Shrub for mostly shaded area in The Woodlands TX
What large shrub will grow in a partially shaded to mostly shaded tree area in The Woodlands(Spring), Texas which is north of Houston, Texas between Houston and Conroe? The Woodlands is in the very so...

The Woodlands, TX
Sturdiness of non- native poisonous oleanders
We've seen a dozen different types of non-native plants in our yard perish in last winter's brutal freezes and this summer's record drought..which is good..except for the Oleanders, which nature ca...

The Woodlands, TX
Difficulty of watering at drip line of trees from The Woodlands TX
I'm watering my couple dozen native mature trees to make sure they survive this drought and its aftermath..and I'm reading about how to water at the drip line. But..all of my trees' drip lines ext...

The Woodlands, TX
Growing native trees from seeds
I'm trying to let large empty sections of my property revert back to woods by means of natural seeding. I have existing White Oaks, Water Oaks, Yaupon Hollies, Sweet Gums, Loblolly Pines, American E...

The Woodlands, TX
Need to find an alternative to Bradford Pear in the Woodlands, TX
Hello! I am trying to find an alternative tree to a Bradford Pear. I love the seasonal change in these and ordered one, but after the many negative reviews I've read (smell, weakness in branches, mes...

The Woodlands, TX
Plant ID from The Woodlands TX
Your plant database does not distinguish 2 native tree species. Common names for these 2 trees: American hophornbeam and ironwood or musclewood. These common names are used for both trees - even m...

The Woodlands, TX
Mercer Society of Harris County Plant Sale from The Woodlands, TX
Love the Name! Anyway, the Mercer Society of Harris County will be having its annual plant sale late this month and as usual I will be attending. I'm trying to find some tropicals and sub-tropicals...

The Woodlands, TX
Identity of invasive vine in The Woodlands, Texas
What is the invasive vine covering trees in The Woodlands, Texas?

The Woodlands, TX
Clover for possible lawn area in The Woodlands, TX
I have two areas in my large lawn that grass refuses to grow. I am thinking of seeding with clover which old lawns used to always have. Which clover will grow in this area? Where do I find seeds an...

The Woodlands, TX
Survival of native yaupon in The Woodlands, TX after hurricane
One of my large native yaupons trees (8ft) fell away from a group during the hurricane. I have uprighted and tied it off for stability. Now the leaves are all brown and falling. Is the tree dead or...

The Woodlands, TX
Why so many Sugar Hackberry seedlings in my back yard in The Woodlands, TX?
Why do I have so many Sugar Hackberry seedlings (Celtis Laevigata) sprouting up naturally in my back yard? There are a few Winged Elms in my neighborhood, but no Sugar Hackberry trees that I know of....

The Woodlands, TX
Identification of volunteer tree
I have a volunteer tree in my yard that has a mixture of serrated, non-serrated, and partially-serrated leaves on it. My tree identification guides all assume either serrated or non-serrated. How do...

The Woodlands, TX
Dog-proof grass from The Woodlands TX
I am looking for a hardy grass that can tolerate female dogs urine. Zoysia was suggested but I am concerned about it being invasive. Any suggestions?

The Woodlands, TX
Drought affecting native trees from The Woodlands
I've been trying to grow native trees in my yard for the past 3 years and I'm starting to question whether the amount of time required to spend watering them during the long hot season in Texas is r...

The Woodlands, TX
Shade tree with non-aggressive roots for next to pool in The Woodlands TX
Hi Mr. Smarty Plants. We live in Spring, TX and are looking for a full-sun shade tree to plant in a large planter (about 6'x6') next to our pool. We want the tree to provide shade for our full a...

The Woodlands, TX
White pine insect problems
We live in The Woodlands TX. Some of our large pine trees have leaking sap and one is dead. What can we do to save the one's still alive?