Saturday - August 22, 2009

From: Oakdale, CT
Topic: Diseases and Disorders
Title: Growth on underside of squash plant leaves

QUESTION:

I have a mold in my garden that is oval in shape and has spikes growing out of it, the color is yellow. This mold (yup it's not a bug I checked) is all over the underside of my squash plants. Any help or direction would be great.

ANSWER:

Mr. Smarty Plants found several good sites describing diseases and pests of the squash plant and its relatives.  Here are a couple of them:  Common Squash Problems and Assorted Foliar Diseases of CucurbitsAlternaria leaf spot and Mosaic are the closest matches I could find, but there is nothing I could find that exactly matched your description. It might help us a little to know how large these areas are in diameter and how thick they are. If the Alternaria leaf spot or the Mosaic is not what you are seeing (and I'm doubtful that it is), please send us photos of these yellow spiky growths on your squash leaves and we will do our best to identify them?  Visit Mr. Smarty Plants' Plant Identification page for instructions on submitting photographs.