Sunday - June 14, 2009

From: Lawton, OK
Title: Planting distance for non-native crepe myrtles in Lawton OK

We just bought Tonto Crepe Myrtle trees. I was just curious how far away from the house we should plant them.

The Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center is committed to the care and propagation of plants native only to North America and to the area in which they are being grown. Lagerstroemia indica (crepe myrtle) is a native of temperate and tropical Asia and therefore falls out of our range of expertise. The "Tonto" is a trade name assigned to some cultivar of the crepe myrtle. This Floridata website Lagerstroemia indica can provide you with some information, in addition to this one from the USDA Forest Service.