Wednesday - June 13, 2007

From: Iron Station, NC
Topic: Non-Natives, Edible Plants
Title: Mulching vegetables with straw

I have a small garden with 4 different veggies, tomatoes, hot peppers, squash & cucumbers. which plants is it OK to put straw under? which plants will straw hurt the stalks or other possibilities? thank you

Our focus and expertise here at the Wildflower Center are native plants of North America. Although many garden vegetables have been cultivated from native plants, they are now very different from their 'wild' cousins. Your best bet for vegetable gardening information is from your North Carolina Cooperative Extension Service. On their web page they have a wealth of information on growing and caring for a large number of garden vegetables. You can also contact the Lincoln County Center of the Cooperative Extension Service for specific information about gardening in your area.