A: There are those who suspect Wildflower Center volunteers Nan Hampton, Jimmy Mills and Barbara Medford to be the culpable and capable parties. Yet, others think staff members Damon Waitt, Joe Marcus and Philip Hawkins might play some, albeit small, role. You can torture us with your plant questions, but we will never reveal the Green Guru's secret identity.

Support NPINHelp grow the Native Plant Information Network by giving to the Plant Database Fund or subcribing to Wildflower magazine.

Subscribe online now
Mr. Smarty Plants would give Wildflower magazine two thumbs up...if he had two thumbs.

Lawton, OK
Fungi in the flower bed
Found a strange thing in my flower bed, while tilling. It was egg shape, white, with a little purple, soft but tough like leather on the outside, with a small 2 inch root. Curiosity got me so I cut it...

Lawton, OK
Safety of hyrbrid and non-native trees for dogs and horses from Lawton OK
Are Arrowwood Viburnum tree, Sargent Crabapple tree & the Washington Hawthorn tree safe for dogs & horses?

Lawton, OK
Planting distance for non-native crepe myrtles in Lawton OK
We just bought Tonto Crepe Myrtle trees. I was just curious how far away from the house we should plant them.

Lawton, OK
Native plants threatened by invasives in Oklahoma?
What are some native plants in Oklahoma that are being threatened by invasive species?

Lawton, OK
Looking for a Drummond Red Maple in Lawton, OK.
I would like to buy a female Drummond red maple from a local retailer but it's Jan.12 and those he has in stock are leafless with just the beginnings of buds showing. They are about 20 feet tall and ...

Comanche, OK
Plant called cow shade or cow weed that is poisonous
There is a plant called cow shade or cow weed, not exactly sure. It kills whitetail deer. I would like to know the name of the plant and the specifics. If you could help me it would be greatly appreci...

Comanche, OK
Wildflowers for a large backyard in Oklahoma
I have a large back yard in full sun. What native flowers should I plant here?

Burkburnett, TX
Small shrub for shady area
I would like to find a shrub to plant on the north, northeast side of my house, but it will be in mostly shade. It needs to get between 21/2' to 4' tall. Do you have any suggestions please?

Wichita Falls, TX
White spots on Hibiscus leaves
My hibiscus trees have white spots or splotches on the leaves. What is it and what can I do to get rid of it? Also, the birds are eating my tomatoes faster than i can grow them. I've used the owl &...

Wichita Falls, TX
Planting time for Helianthus annuus in Wichita Co., TX
I need to know when is the best time to plant sunflowers in the Wichita Falls, Texas area? Thank you for your time.

Wichita Falls, TX
Native grasses for horse grazing in Wichita Falls, TX
What are the best horse grazing grasses to plant in the Wichita Falls, Texas area?

Wichita Falls, TX
Problems with hibiscus tree in Wichita Falls, TX
My Hibiscus trees have black spots on the leaves. What might this be and what is the remedy?

Wichita Falls, TX
Wildflower seeds for Nocona, Texas
I have a place on Lake Nocona in Nocona,TX and am wanting to buy native wild flower seeds that will take the heat and little water. I have both sunlight and shade. I,m interested in the western prairi...

Wichita Falls, TX
Need suggestions for plants for a bird/small wildlife refuge in Wichita Co, TX.
With our continuing drought in North Texas, I'm planning to transform my small backyard into a bird/small wildlife "refuge". What types of native plants and grasses can I plant in dry, hot Wichita ...

Wichita Falls, TX
Summer-blooming Wildflowers for Wichita Falls, TX
Can you give me a list of some summer-blooming (June, July, August, maybe September) wildflowers that I can plant in my flower beds in Wichita Falls, TX and tell me when the best time is to sow the se...

Wichita Falls, TX
Planting wildflowers from Wichita Falls, TX
Hi, Thanks so much for the answers you give! You've been very helpful to me in the past. I have two quick questions: 1) I have been harvesting seeds from my wildflowers. I wonder when the best time...

Wichita Falls , TX
Smarty Plants on Hesperaloe parviflora
On the home page of this website (right of center) there is a plant with the long stems and pink flowers and with green pods or seeds, also. Could you please tell me the name of this flower? We have ...

Blanchard, OK
Plants to stop erosion on creek side
I need plants for a westside slope to a creek that will help with erosion, need fast growing and likes lots of sun. Thank you, Mr. Smarty Plants

Norman, OK
Plant identification in Norman, OK
I have two large plants in my back yard that just sprang up on their own this year. They are beautiful and the butterflies and bees love them. I think they are a type of milkweed, but they don't lo...

Norman, OK
Project involving wildflower seeds for Earth Day
Hello, I am trying to find a relatively quick and easy project involving wildflower seeds for an Earth Day Celebration. We have roughly 1,000 kids come through. In the past I have done wildflower se...

Norman, OK
Is Liatris spicata through blooming from Norman OK
We have a Liatris spicata, I thought it was done blooming (dried tops), so I cut them off. Will it come back and bloom again? What can I do?