Wednesday - June 24, 2009

From: Albuquerque, NM
Topic: Medicinal Plants
Title: Medicinal Yerba de la Negrita (Sphaeralcea coccinea)

QUESTION:

When I make my own batch of Yerba de la Negrita how long will it keep in the refrigerator?

ANSWER:

Sphaeralcea coccinea (scarlet globemallow) is called Yerba de la Negrita and grows in the southwestern U. S. and in northern Mexico. Some of its uses listed by the Native American Ethnobotany database from the University of Michigan-Dearborn are: a salve for sores and wounds, a tonic to improve diet, and to protect hands from fire and scalding water. It also appears to be used in shampoos and other haircare products. Having told you this, we have about exhausted our knowledge about Yerba de la Negrita.  Since I don't know what you intend to use it for, I wouldn't begin to guess how long you could refrigerate it safely.  My suggestion for you is to visit a chat group or forum of people interested in medicinal plants and ask your question.  Perhaps you will find someone who knows the answer there. Here is a link to Groups Discussing medicinal plants and their uses|Yahoo!Groups.

Scarlet globemallow
Sphaeralcea coccinea

Scarlet globemallow
Sphaeralcea coccinea