Thursday - July 07, 2005

From: Plano, TX
Title: Small native flowering plants for Plano, TX

QUESTION:

Suggestions for native flowering plants small enough for a border planting? I live in Plano TX, just north of Dallas. Zone 8.

ANSWER:

Here are a list of species that are a foot or less in height that should do well in your area. When you reach the page for the flower, be sure to check the "Bloom", "Characters", and "Growing Conditions" in the menu at the top of the page.

1. Sand violet or Missouri violet (Viola affinis) blooms in early spring, retains its green leaves in the winter, and requires moist soil.

2. Blackfoot daisy (Melampodium leucanthum) blooms March through November, is evergreen and tolerates heat and drought.

3. Prairie verbena or Dakota vervain (Glandularia bipinnatifida) blooms March through December and tolerates dry soil.

4. Frogfruit (Phyla nodiflora) evergreen in areas protected from frost, blooms May through September, and tolerates moist or dry soil.

5. Shrubby skullcap or Sticky skullcap (Scutellaria resinosa) blooms May through July and is drought tolerant. Dyck Arboretum of the Plains has a photograph.