Friday - May 30, 2014

From: St Croix Falls, WI
Topic: General Botany, Wildflowers
Title: Define monoculture from St. Croix Falls, WI

What do you call a dense stand or carpet of one species of wildflower? Our botany professor told us but that was 40 years ago!

Mr. Smarty Plants believes the word you are looking for is "monoculture." There really is no such thing as a true monoculture; other species of whatever - wild flowers, weeds, agricultural crops - are going to creep in. In fact, a pure monoculture is not necessarily a good thing. Here are some articles that expand on the definition

Wikipedia  'Monoculture' is the agricultural practice of producing or growing a single crop or plant species over a wide area and for a large number of consecutive years. It is widely used in modern industrial agriculture and its implementation has allowed for large harvests from minimal labour.

Carbon Trade Watch - Monocultures

Science Daily - Monoculture

As you can see, it is mostly a term referring to industrial agriculture for the growth of food. Probably a more useful term for your purpose is "a whole bunch of the same wildflower."