Sunday - May 10, 2009

From: Dallas, TX
Title: Aesculus glabra var. arguta
Answered by: Damon Waitt

QUESTION:

I am building a trail for the city of Dallas and need 10-5 gal. Texas Buckeye Trees(Aesculus glabra var. arguta). I can not find any in north Texas or the Austin area. Can you help?

ANSWER:

Aesculus glabra var. arguta (White buckeye) is a small, multi-trunked tree, 10-25 ft., which can reach 50 ft. It is similar to Ohio buckeye but smaller in all parts. Clusters of pale-yellow blooms; palmately compound, glossy leaves; and an open-spreading crown are the tree’s landscape attributes.

Mr. Smarty Plants recommends you contact the Dallas Nature Center to find a local supplier of this tree.