Tuesday - May 17, 2005

From: Pflugerville, TX
Title: Cut wildflowers for wedding in June in Panola Co., TX

QUESTION:

I need fresh picked Texas wildflowers for my son's wedding dinner on June 3. The wedding is in Carthage, Panola Co, Tx. I'm from Austin and am not familiar with that vicinity. What flowers should be in bloom in Panola County at that time? Thanks!

ANSWER:

Here are a few that should be blooming in June:

1) Black-eyed Susan (Rudbeckia hirta).

2) Indian blanket (Gaillardia pulchella)

3) Horsemint (Monarda citriodora)

4) Golden-wave (Coreopsis tinctoria).

5) Prairie verbena (Glandularia bipinnatifida).

6) Mexican hat (Ratibida columnifera).

7) Scarlet sage (Salvia coccinea).

Are you planning on picking the flowers yourself? If so, please do so responsibly. Obtain permission from the landowner of any property that you will be picking on. If you are picking from flowers on the highway right-of-way, park and walk safely. The Texas Department of Public Safety has a very good statement relating to parking on the right-of-way to pick bluebonnets that would apply to any wildflower. Above all, pick selectively. Don't pick every flower. Leave at least half the flowers to make seed for next year's crop of wildflowers.