Monday - November 06, 2006

From: Angels Camp, CA
Title: Methods of planting state wildflowers on roadsides in California

My garden club is initiating a program to plant state hwy 49 within our county with our state flower, California Poppy. Do you have information on using hydroseeding as a method of planting?

Sorry, we do not have anything on hydroseeding as a means to sow large areas with seeds. We do, however, have several articles (e.g., "Large Scale Wildflower Planting" and "Planting Wildflowers along Roadsides") in our Native Plant Library that you may find useful for your project.

You may not be aware that Caltrans has an Adopt-a-Highway Program. From their Fact Sheet:

"Groups can participate by removing litter, planting and establishing tree seedlings, planting wildflowers, removing graffiti or by financially sponsoring a litter sweeper or roadside rest area maintenance...If you need assistance with the planting plans or need technical help, Caltrans staff will be available to assist you."

This information is from District 11 in southern California, but the Adopt-a-Highway Program is statewide. You should contact your District 10 office for information and assistance. Caltrans also has a brochure on hydroseeding and they might be able to help and advise you on using it for your project.