Mr. Smarty Plants - Wildflower seeds planted in May for summer in Fairfield, TX

Thursday - May 12, 2005

From: palestine, TX
Title: Wildflower seeds planted in May for summer in Fairfield, TX

QUESTION:

Are there any wildflower seeds which can be planted in May for the summer? I have planted a wildgrass seed mixture I purchased from Turner Seed Company and planted it today (5-2-05). It was supposed to have Illinois bundle flower in it. Is there anything else I can plant at this time? The property I am planting is near Fairfield, Texas and only gets rainwater or when I water with a hose--no sprinkler system. Thanks.

ANSWER:

Our horticulture experts here at the Wildflower Center suggested the following:

1) Coreopsis. There are several species that would work, for example, C. basalis, C. lanceolata, C. tinctoria.

2) Black-eyed Susan (Rudbeckia hirta).

3) Scarlet sage (Salvia coccinea).

4) Indian blanket (Gaillardia pulchella). This one would grow and bloom but would require some watering.

You can find seed companies that sell seeds for native plants in Texas by visiting our National Suppliers Directory. In Texas, both Native American Seed in Junction and Wildseed Farms in Fredericksburg have a large number of varieties of native wildflower seeds for sale over the internet.