Monday - September 17, 2007

From: Keller, TX
Title: Signs designating wildflower areas

QUESTION:

I belong to a large homeowners association in Keller, TX. We've created a large wildflower area and need a sign to designate it. Where can I find wildflowers signs ? We want to alert residents to the area and keep it from being mowed.

ANSWER:

If you are asking if we have wildflower signs available for sale to the public, or a source for such signs we can recommend, the answer is no. The only signage we are involved with is on the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center grounds in Austin. These signs, usually identifying a species of plant in our gardens, are generated at the Center by staff or volunteers.

In terms of where you can place such signs, size, etc., we tried the Texas Department of Transportation website, since the only "Do Not Mow" signs we had seen were on roadsides where wildflower populations were being encouraged. We found no relevant information there, and recommend you contact local street and zoning authorities. If the signs are going to be on lands owned by the homeowners association, it's likely that the only restrictions will involve size and visibility.When you have established that, you can go to a sign company and order what you need. Probably anyone in the business of outdoor signs already knows what is legally allowed and from whom permits might be needed, so that could be the best place to start.