En EspaÑol

Tuesday - March 10, 2009

From: Dripping Springs, TX
Title: Root lengths of Central Texas wildflowers
Answered by: Barbara Medford and Joe Marcus

QUESTION:

I'm looking for lengths of the roots of wildflowers of Central Texas. It would be particularly helpful to know the really long ones. Any native prairie flowers or grasses would do.

ANSWER:

Sorry, but there is no definitive answer to your question. So far as we are able to determine, there is no list or database on root lengths of any plants, including natives. The root length of any plant is variable, depending on the plant size, genetics and age as well as environmental conditions. If you or someone else would like to do the research and prepare such a list, we would be delighted to include it in the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center Native Plant Information Network database.