Wednesday - August 06, 2008

From: Port Monmouth, NJ
Title: Native flowers for an English garden in New Jersey

QUESTION:

I am working on a English type garden and trying to achieve the most color flowers, mainly the longest summer blooms. I live in Port Monmouth NJ. Any suggestions for the best and longest summer blooming flowers?

ANSWER:

That is a lovely idea, and in the climate of New Jersey, you are probably more likely to achieve it than we could in Texas. However, we are going to recommend only plants native to North America, and also to New Jersey. The Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center is dedicated to the use of native plants because they are already accustomed to their environment and thus will need to consume less water, fertilizer and mainenance. Usually, annuals will bloom longer, then set seed and die. Perennials don't bloom as long but if they are properly cared for will come back from the roots the next year. So, we are going to go to Recommended Species, click on New Jersey on the map, and Narrow Our Search to herbs (herbaceous plants), and all durations (perennial and annual). We'll make some selections from the lists we get for you to consider. Turns out all but one of the plants we chose are perennials. Please remember that they may not bloom the full extent of the time indicated, depending on climate and weather.

Since we don't know the conditions of the soil and the sun exposure in your garden, you may want to repeat our search, adding sun exposure and soil moisture to the search criteria. These are all commercially available native plant species suitable for planned landscapes in New Jersey. Visit our Suppliers Directory to locate businesses that sell native plants or seeds or provide professional landscape or consulting services in your general area.

Achillea millefolium (common yarrow) - perennial, white or pink, blooms mid-July to September

Aquilegia canadensis (red columbine) - perennial, red and yellow, blooms April to July

Asclepias tuberosa (butterfly milkweed) - perennial, orange, blooms May to September, attracts butterflies

Campanula rotundifolia (bluebell bellflower) - perennial, blue, purple, blooms June to September

Coreopsis lanceolata (lanceleaf tickseed) - perennial, yellow, blooms April to June

Lobelia cardinalis (cardinalflower) - perennial, red, blooms July to October

Lobelia siphilitica (great blue lobelia) - perennial, blue, July to August

Monarda didyma (scarlet beebalm) - perennial, red, July and August

Phlox subulata (moss phlox) -perennial, blue, March to June

Rudbeckia hirta (blackeyed Susan) - annual, yellow, June to October

Rudbeckia laciniata (cutleaf coneflower) - perennial, yellow, July to October

Symphyotrichum novi-belgii (New York aster) - perennial, pink, purple, blooms August to October, pictures of New York aster

Achillea millefolium

Aquilegia canadensis

Campanula rotundifolia

Coreopsis lanceolata

Lobelia cardinalis

Lobelia siphilitica

Monarda didyma

Phlox subulata

Rudbeckia hirta

Rudbeckia laciniata