Mr. Smarty Plants - Hardiness of Mexican bush sage in USDA Zone 7

Monday - September 25, 2006

From: Canton, GA
Title: Hardiness of Mexican bush sage in USDA Zone 7

QUESTION:

I have a Mexican Sage (salvia). I need to know the care of it especially because it is a gift and the plant is about 5 ft. With the weather and the red clay I don't know if I could plant it or just bring it inside until the spring.

ANSWER:

Most sources say that Mexican bush sage (Salvia leucantha), native to Mexico and Central America, can be grown in USDA Hardiness Zones 8-10 but you might be able to plant it outdoors in Canton, Georgia (Zone 7) if you put it in a protected place, cut it back in the fall, and mulch it thoroughly. If you do plant it outside, you might consider rooting some of the cuttings inside to be sure of new plants for spring. Here is more information on caring for your Mexican sage from Floridata