Tuesday - March 10, 2009

From: Spring Branch, TX
Topic: Water Gardens, Planting, Herbs/Forbs
Title: Planting instructions for horsetail

QUESTION:

Re: Equisetum hyemale L. Canuela, Horsetail, Scouring rush, Scouringrush horsetail I bought a 1-gal Equisetum hyemale for my seep/pond. In searching the web, I find conflicting planting instructions. All say invasive, plant in a pot. Then, some say plant in gravel (no soil needed); some say do not completely submerge; some say ok to submerge; some say submerge with just the lip of the pot showing above the water. Please help!!!

ANSWER:

We think the conflicting answers you are getting are just saying that there are a number of different conditions under which you can grow Equisetum hyemale (scouringrush horsetail). It will grow out of water, in gravel, if you wish and do just fine. It can fill up a pondside area and exclude weeds. If it is to be included in a water garden with other plants, it probably should be confined in a pot, since it is aggressive. All the advice you have been seeing seems to be correct, except that we wouldn't completely submerge the whole plant, just on the grounds that it needs oxygen, and besides, where would the dragonflies sit?