Monday - January 26, 2009

From: San Jose, CA
Title: Problems with non-native orchid

I have vanda sanderiana that has wrinkled and yellowing leaves.They are located outdoors, northeast section, plenty of morning direct light and still bright even when the sun is at 3:00 oclock.I water daily since the roots are hanging, fertilize weekly weakly. area is windy and cool at night. Cant stop the leaves from yellowing. The leaves do not open up either( they should be "V" shaped if ok should'nt they?

Vanda sanderiana is an orchid native to the Philippines. Get more information about it from this 2009 Phillipines Orchid Society Annual Orchid Show Vanda sanderina website. The Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center has information in our database and research only on plants native to North America. There is an excellent  American Orchid Society website that has sections with education and help on growing orchids.