Sunday - November 27, 2005

From: Flora, MS
Title: Lists of native plants in Rome, Italy area

Do you know anywhere that I can find a list of native plants in Italy, especially in the Rome area.

You can find a list of web sites that show Italian flora in various regions of Italy in the "Links" on the Flora of Varesotto web page. From the The Department of Biology of the University of Trieste you can find Illustrated Keys to the Italian flora on line. These are interactive keys for plants in several areas of Northern Italy. You can find a description of the natural environment, the vascular plants, and the fungi of Sicily from the University of Catania.

Most of the internet sites shown above are in Italian, although some have English versions. The botanical names in Latin remain the same, of course.

If you are looking for checklists for a particular area, you might also try contacting someone doing research into the flora of Italy, such as the faculty at the Department of Biology at the University of Trieste.