Mr. Smarty Plants - White specks on unknown houseplant from Ridgeway SC

Thursday - June 20, 2013

From: Ridgeway, SC
Topic: Non-Natives, Container Gardens, Diseases and Disorders, Pests
Title: White specks on unknown houseplant from Ridgeway SC

QUESTION:

I have an unknown houseplant that seems to have some sort of pest or disease on it. It has white snowy specks atop its leaf. I bought this purple fuzzy leafed houseplant from Walmart in Winnsboro, SC about seven months ago. For the past two weeks, each day there is more coverage of these white specks. Its leaf is completely purple on its underside but green with purple hairs on top. Is there something I can do for this plant invasion?

ANSWER:

Okay, the key word here is "unnamed." Not only is that simply not enough information for us to go on but most house plants are non-native to North America. The Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center, home of Mr. Smarty Plants, is committed to the growth, propagation and protection of plants native not only to North America but to the area in which the plant is being grown; in your case, Fairfield County, SC. Most homes are very hostile environments to plants: no sunlight, dry air, excessive heat or cooling for the plants and both animals and humans disturbing them. Here are some websites that could help you:

Better Homes and Gardens A-Z listing of houseplants with pictures

Suitable Plants for Indoor Gardening

Gardener's Supply Houseplants Pests and Diseases

Hopefully, from these sites you can find out what your houseplant is and what is ailing it.