Monday - January 19, 2009

From: Houston, TX
Title: Source for Acer leucoderm (chalk maple)

QUESTION:

Do you know where I can purchase a chalk maple (Acer leucoderme)?

ANSWER:

Although Acer leucoderme (chalk maple) is native to Texas, it is also somewhat rare. It will grow in rocky or sandy soils, is considered an understory tree and can withstand drought. If it is in a more sunny location, it will need supplemental watering. Your best chance of locating this tree is to go to our Native Plant Suppliers section, type in your town and state and you will get a list of native plant nurseries, seed companies and landscape consultants in your general area. They will all have contact information and you can call or e-mail them to find out if they have the tree you want in stock. Possibly it could even be ordered for you, and this is the time to be doing it, as Winter and very early Spring is the optimum time to plant trees in our hot climate. 

Acer leucoderme

Acer leucoderme

Acer leucoderme

Acer leucoderme