Mr. Smarty Plants - Searching for nursery with yellow nutsedge in NC

Monday - January 27, 2014

From: Kinston, NC
Topic: Seed and Plant Sources, Erosion Control, Grasses or Grass-like
Title: Searching for nursery with yellow nutsedge in NC

QUESTION:

I'd like to plant yellow nut sedge as a cover to stop erosion in a lot. Where can I buy yellow nut sedge plants near Kinston, North Carolina? Thank you.

ANSWER:

Please visit our National Suppliers Directory where you will find listings of nurseries and seed companies that specialize in native plants in North America.   You can search by location to find ones near you.  Many of the nurseries listed have websites that show lists of available plants.  Those without websites have telephone numbers.  I looked on a few of the websites for Cyperus esculentus (Yellow nutsedge), but was not able to find it.  You can do a more thorough search than I and call some of those without websites.  There were several nurseries with various native Carex species.   I would recommend contacting those to see if they could help you locate a source.  Also, North Carolina Botanical Garden of the University of North Carolina has a list of "Recommended Sources for Native Plants" that includes nurseries that aren't on our list.  You might also contact someone in the chapter nearest you of the North Carolina Native Plant Society for suggestions as to where you might find the yellow nutsedge.