En Espa—ol

Thursday - January 01, 2009

From: Santa Ana, CA
Title: Looking for seeds or plant of Fendlera wrightii

QUESTION:

How I can get a plant or a seed of Fendlera Wrightii, Texas native bush.

ANSWER:

Fendlera wrightii (Wright's fendlerbush) is found in Texas, New Mexico, Arizona and Colorado.  In Texas it is found in the western part of the state.  You can see the counties where it is found in each of the above states by clicking on the state on the map on the USDA Plants Database page. If you visit our National Suppliers Directory, you can search by location for nurseries and seed companies that specialize in native plants. Many of the companies have online catalogs.  For those that don't, there are telephone numbers to contact them.  Another possibility is to contact the Native Plant Societies in the areas where the plant is found for possible sources (e.g.,  Native Plant Society of Texas, in particular the Big Bend Chapter; Native Plant Society of New Mexico; Arizona Native Plant Society with a list of Sources for Native Plants; and Colorado Native Plant Society).

If you will do a Google search for "Fendlera wrightii seeds", you will find that B & T World Seeds lists the availability of seeds.  You should also realize that a synonym for Fendlera wrightii is Fendlera rupicola var. wrightii. It might be easier to find seeds of Fendlera rupicola [syn. Fendlera rupicola var. falcata] (cliff fendlerbush), a very similar plant native to Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, Colorado, Utah, and Nevada.

Fendlera wrightii

Fendlera wrightii

Fendlera rupicola

Fendlera rupicola