Sunday - November 23, 2008

From: Round Rock, TX
Title: Problems with non-native closet plant

QUESTION:

I have three closet plants. All are putting on new growth and even blooming. However, the leaves are turning brown from the edges. What is the problem?

ANSWER:

The "closet plant" is also known as the Peace Lily, and its scientific name is Spathyphyllum. As it happens, it is non-native to North America, but is native  to southeastern Asia and the tropical Americas. The Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center is focused on plants native to North America and to the area in which they are being grown. We are going to refer you to our previous answer. You will find in it a link to an excellent site on Indoor Plants, which hopefully will give you some guidance in what to do for yours.