Sunday - January 03, 2010

From: Palm Harbor, FL
Title: Problems with non-native orange tree in Palm Harbor FL

QUESTION:

Almost all fruit has fallen off my orange tree. It looks moldy or like mildew on tree and on fruit?

ANSWER:

The Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center is committed to the care, protection and propagation of plants native not only to North America but to the area in which that plant is being grown. Citrus sinensis, sweet orange, is a hybrid of ancient cultivated origin, native to Southeast Asia. This article from Floridata, Citrus sinensis, can give you some more information. Since the orange is widely grown in Florida, we would suggest you contact the University of Florida Extension Office for Pinellas County.