Mr. Smarty Plants - Tree with bright green seeds the size of a softball

Wednesday - October 22, 2008

From: Rockmart, GA
Title: Tree with bright green seeds the size of a softball

QUESTION:

My daughter has moved to Taylorsville,Ga and thier are trees that drop bright green seed pods that are round and the size of a soft ball. The outer skin resembles a human brain. Do you have any idea what this is?

ANSWER:

Mr. Smarty Plants thinks that this sounds like Maclura pomifera (osage orange).  If this is not your daughter's tree, please send us photos and we'll do our best to identify it.  Visit the Ask Mr. Smarty Plants' Plant Identification page for instructions on submitting photos.

Maclura pomifera

Maclura pomifera

Maclura pomifera

Maclura pomifera