Mr. Smarty Plants - Plant identification

Friday - May 29, 2009

From: Braintree, MA
Title: Plant identification

QUESTION:

I have a plant that I always thought was poison ivy. This spring however I saw an unusual flower on several of these plants. Three leaves and the flower almost looks like a wilted calla lily, but is a greenish color. When you lift up the wilted over part, there is a small green oval inside. Do you have any idea what this could be? It grows in the shade along with briars and Virginia Creeper in the wooded area behind my house.

ANSWER:

This sounds intriguing and Mr. Smarty Plants loves mysterious plants to identify. This sounds a lot like Arisaema triphyllum (Jack in the pulpit)? If this is not your plant, please send us photos and we will do our best to identify it.  Visit Mr. Smarty Plants' Plant Identification page to find instructions for submitting photos.

Arisaema triphyllum

Arisaema triphyllum

Arisaema triphyllum

Arisaema triphyllum