En EspaÑol

Saturday - October 04, 2008

From: Georgetown, TX
Title: Problems with non-native Weeping Japanese Red Maple

QUESTION:

have a Weeping Japanese Red Maple. We bought if from a good nursery in the spring and planted it but now it is not red anymore. It is just greenish. Can you advise me what it is needing or any thing I can do for it! Thanks for your time.

ANSWER:

Thank you for your question. While we would like to answer all questions we receive, Mr. Smarty Plants' expertise is limited to plant species native to North America, their habitats and cultivation. Limited resources require us to decline answering questions that delve into other areas. We hope you understand. Acer palmatum, Japanese maple, is native to Asia. We can, however, lead you to several websites that might be able to help you:

Information from Ohio State University and The Garden Helper indicates that the Japanese maple does well in light or partial shade. Some cultivars will tolerate full sun. WorldPlants.com indicates that there are also cultivars that will do well in shade.

Bartlett Research Laboratories Plant Health Care Program, Japanese Maple.

The Garden Helper, Acer palmatum