Sunday - September 19, 2010

From: Edmonton, AB
Region: Canada
Title: Non-native upside down tomatoes in Edmonton AB

QUESTION:

Due to early frost, I have brought my upside down tomato plant into the house & have hung it in the basement. What type of grow lamp can I use? I just have the overhead light & standard lamps at my disposal. I have over 100 Cherry tomatoes on the plant & do not want to lose them.

ANSWER:

We don't know about indoor lighting for your tomatoes, because we don't know about tomatoes. Solanum lycopersicum, tomato, originated in South America. The Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center is dedicated to the growth, protection and propagation of plants native not only to North America but to the area in which the plants are being grown. 

Hopefully, this article from  Old Fashioned Living Growing Tomatoes Upside Down can give you some help. Also, from Colorado State University Denver  County Master Gardeners, here is an article Grow Your Own Tomatoes Indoors this Winter.