Mr. Smarty Plants - Source for purchase of non-native Tradescantia zebrina

Saturday - October 04, 2008

From: Elkton, MD
Title: Source for purchase of non-native Tradescantia zebrina

QUESTION:

Is there a nursery near me that carries Wandering Jew plants?

ANSWER:

Tradescantia zebrina, Wandering Jew, is native to Mexico, and therefore out of our range of experience. The Lady Bird Wildflower Center is focused on the use, propagation and protection of plants native to North America. We do have lists of nurseries in your area, go to Native Plant Suppliers, type in your town and state in the "Enter Search Location" box. This will give you a list of names, addresses, phone numbers, websites, etc. of plant nurseries, seed companies and landscape consultants specializing in native plants. It's unlikely, however, that they would carry this plant, since it is non-native. However, the large commercial nurseries seem to carry far more non-natives than native plants, so you will probably be able to find one near you. The easiest thing is to beg a piece of the plant from someone else who already grows it. It roots very quickly from cuttings, and is also very invasive if it is in the ground. Once it gets going in a flower bed, it is almost impossible to get rid of, so be warned!