Wednesday - October 29, 2008

From: Houston, TX
Title: Location of Texas wild olive (Cordia boissieri) for sale
Answered by: Nan Hampton, Barbara Medford and Sean Watson

QUESTION:

Do you know where to purchase Cordia boissieri A. DC.? I recently lost a tree during Hurricane Ike (I live in Houston, Texas)and have prepared the old area for a new tree. I've been researching the LBJ wildlife center website, and have fallen in love with the Cordia boissieri A. DC. Any information as to where to buy this tree would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much, Karen

ANSWER:

The Houston Chapter of the Native Plant Society of Texas (NPSOT) has an extensive list of nurseries in the area that carry native plants.  You could check for the availability of Cordia boissieri (anacahuita) at those nurseries listed.  I did try a few of the ones with websites, but didn't find it listed.  However, there are many nurseries without website, but that have telephone numbers you could call.  Also, the ones with websites don't always have complete lists of available plants.  Our nursery manager, Sean Watson, said that they are relatively hard to find in the Austin area and he thought that might be because of their sensitivity to cold.  (Please see the answer to a previous question about the cold hardiness of this tree.)  He thought, however, Houston should be warm enough for the tree to grow successfully and it might possibly be available at nurseries in south Texas.  Looking through the nurseries in south Texas listed in our National Suppliers Directory, I did find that Rancho Lomitas Nursery in Rio Grande City lists it for sale on its website. 

Cordia boissieri

Cordia boissieri

Cordia boissieri