Thursday - September 25, 2008

From: Canton, IL
Title: Propagation of native Ohio buckeye from seed

My granddaughter has collected "buck eyes"; can we plant them to start our own tree? If so, how do we go about it!

Our webpage on Aesculus glabra (Ohio buckeye) has these Propagation Instructions:

Description: Sow seeds in fall.
Seed Collection: Seeds dry and shrivel quickly.
Seed Treatment: Moist-stratify for 120 days at 41 degrees. 

More complete information is in this previous answer to a similar question. And here is a page of pictures of the tree and various stages of the seeds. Be sure and note the warnings on our webpage about the toxicity of all parts of this plant:

"Warning: All parts of this tree are poisonous if taken internally. Keep away from livestock; seeds and fruits are attractive to children and are dangerous. May be Fatal if Eaten! Symptoms include muscle weakness and paralysis, dilated pupils, vomiting, diarrhea, depression, paralysis, and stupor. Toxic Principle: Glycoside aesculin, saponin aescin, possibly alkaloids."

Aesculus glabra

Aesculus glabra